What is a Palliative Care Consultation?
Provided by a team of physicians and nurse practitioners, Haven’s palliative care consultations include a palliative care medical examination to address pain and symptoms, and discussions with individuals and their caregivers about treatment goals, options and recommendations.
A Haven palliative care specialist will follow up with the family physician regarding goals, concerns and treatment. Haven specialists will coordinate care with other healthcare providers as well as visit individuals in a variety of settings such as hospitals, nursing homes or assisted living facilities.
Haven palliative care consultations include:
- A palliative care medical examination.
- Discussions with you and your family about treatment goals, concerns and treatment options.
- Treatment recommendations for you and your family.
- A Haven palliative specialist will follow up with your doctor regarding your goals, concerns and treatment.
What are the Benefits of a Palliative Care Consultation?
- Improves treatment of symptoms related to advanced illness.
- Assists with discussions between you, your family and your doctor.
- Provides information to you and your family about options to improve your quality of life while having a serious illness.
- Helps to reduce trips to the emergency department or hospital by providing management of symptoms and stress related to advanced illness.
- Allows a Haven specialist to come and visit you in a variety of settings: hospitals, nursing homes or assisted living facilities.
- Allows care to be coordinated between the Haven specialist and your doctor.
Who Pays for This Service?
✓ Medicare: Covered under Part B
✓ Most Commercial Insurers
Arrangements can be made for patients with no coverage.
When is a Palliative Care Consultation Needed?
- If you are experiencing pain and other symptoms that are having an impact on your quality of life.
- If you or your family would like to discuss advance care planning.
- If you think you are visiting the hospital too often.
How Do I Get a Palliative Care Consultation?
Have your doctor or medical provider contact us.
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.