What Is Advance Care Planning?
Advance Care Planning (ACP) is a gift to you and those you love. ACP provides clear guidance of an individual’s goals, wishes and values as it pertains to current and future healthcare.
Advance Care Planning starts with a conversation with you and your loved ones or healthcare agent. By creating a plan, you identify and document the kind of care you want when when you no longer have the ability to communicate your wishes.
To begin this process, please complete the information under “Getting Started with Advance Care Planning” and a member of Haven’s Advance Care Planning team will contact you.
- It is an opportunity to discuss your goals, wishes and values about your treatment preferences.
- Improves understanding of your medical condition and available options so you can make informed decisions.
- Clearly documents your choices for current and future medical care and treatment.
- Identifies a trusted spokesperson (surrogate) to communicate on your behalf and ensure your wishes are honored.
- Improves communication between all parties involved.
- Provides guidance in completing an advance directive (e.g. living will or healthcare surrogate), if desired.
- Ensures the treatment and care you want to receive in the future is honored.
- Provides peace of mind to you, your family, friends and healthcare providers.
Not having family close by, it’s good to know my wishes have been discussed and my surrogates, near and far, really understand and support me. The advance care planning meeting has had a calming effect on my daily life. I really feel like Haven cared for me during this process.
– A resident of Lake House at the Village, Gainesville, FL
- Sharing your personal goals, wishes and values.
- Exploring what you may or may not want in certain medical situations.
- Choosing someone to communicate your wishes if you are unable to.
- Documenting your wishes and sharing your plan.
- Reassessing your preferences and updating your plan periodically.
When we complete ACP sessions, advance directives are included.